Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Injuries Make Me Sad

Apparently I have metatarsalgia.   It's a vague term that means the ball of your foot hurts.  I first noticed it on a recovery run on a Thursday.  Then on Friday we went to the Open House of the new LDS Gilbert Temple. 


It was amazing, but I didn't do myself any favors by wearing high heels.  We had to wait in line to get in and had to go on lots of stairs.  That means there was a lot of time on my feet, with pressure right on the ball of my foot.  I didn't notice any pain at the time, but the next morning at about 5 miles into our 12 mile long run, the ball of my foot started hurting.  By the end it was excruciating and I could hardly walk into my house.  Foot pain was something I wasn't familiar with, so naturally, I started Googling my symptoms.  For the next few days I drove myself crazy trying to find a name for what I had.  No luck.  I ran on Tuesday and about 4 miles in it started hurting again.  So I Googled some more and decided to skip my next two runs and in hopes that it would be better by Saturday.  Just in time for a 20 miler. 

I'm trying Dr. Scholl's Ball of Foot Pads for now.  My foot hurt off and on for the first 5 miles but then seemed to do okay. 
 
And if that isn't enough to deal with 3 weeks before a marathon, might as well throw in some IT Band issues as well.  Oh, and some shin splints. 
 
I haven't had an IT band flare up in over a year so to say it took me by surprise on the 20 miler would be an understatement.  I'm not too freaked out about it yet, because it was just one incident and I have been slacking on my IT band exercises.  Luckily I came across this little gem to help. 
 
My left shin has been bothering me off and on since June.  Again, I've been slacking on my regimen so I need to be diligent about doing that as well (things like rolling my foot on a golf ball, stretching my calves, wearing compression sleeves, ultrasound). 
 
I don't know if this has any significance, but just before all of these injuries started popping up, I got new shoes.  I researched for weeks and finally came to the conclusion that the Brooks PureFlow 3's were going to be my next marathon shoe. 
 I wore them on a few easy runs first, and then the 12 mile run (where the metatarsalgia flared up) and the 20 mile run (where the IT band tightened up).  Note that I did not wear them on my amazing 19 mile run.  It could just be coincidence, but at this point I'm not interested in testing them out any further.  My running store, RoadRunner Sports, has a "90 day wear them and exchange them" policy, so lucky me, I am returning them and getting what has worked for me in the past.  Say hello to the Saucony Kinvara 4
I don't know why I seem to get injured so much.  I feel like I am doing things right (cross training, strength training, easy vs hard days, rotating shoes, and rest days) and yet I still get injured.  Some things are just out of my control, but I am going to do what I can in these next 2 weeks to give my body the best shot at being healthy and rested for the marathon.
-rest and sleep more
-healthy, nutritious food (no processed sugar for the month of Feb.)
-it band and shin splint regimens
-trust in my training
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment